In 1588 Kochi Castle was completed by lord Chosokabe Motochika but later in 1600 lord Yamanouchi Kazutoyo took control over the castle. Kochi Prefecture was then called Tosa province back then. The castle was completed in 1611 after 10 years of construction. Much of the original fortress burned down in 1727 and it was reconstructed between 1729 and 1753 in the original style. The castle has retained its original stonework structure and is not a replica like other castles in Japan. It is also the only castle in Japan to retain both its original main keep and its palace. Kochi Castle is located in the city of Kochi on the island of Shikoku in Japan.